Sunday, June 24, 2012

Hoop garden harvest

Chard, basil, goat cheese quiche, with whole wheat crust.
Note the fancy Ozark quiche pan.
I'm really liking my little garden circles. The fresh produce right next to the house makes the minimal work well worth the time. The only things that the bugs are currently eating is the rhubarb. I'm not sure it's going to survive. But everything else is doing great.

 I'm getting chard, tomatoes, potatoes, beets and onions right now. Somehow, I forgot to plant pole beans this spring and it's way too hot now. It is taking me about an hour a day, three days a week to water everything. But that's fun harvesting and weeding time, too.

This week we've had new potatoes and onions creamed with our own goat's milk and peas. Last night I made goat cheese with pesto and sliced tomatoes over whole wheat pasta. The night before, we had an awesome goat cheese quiche.

I made a whole wheat crust with whole basil leaves from our garden. I used a dozen eggs from my friend Kathy Jensen, as our little chickie girls aren't laying yet. I served it with sliced Black Prince tomatoes, warm from the vine. The cheese was a crumbly unsalted farmers cheese, out of the freezer as the goats are not milking much in this heat. I decided to make it in the cast iron skillet  and it worked great. It's my new favorite quiche pan!

Rainbow chard and goat cheese quiche

Crust
Heat oven to 475.
In a 15-inch cast iron skillet, melt 1 stick butter.
Add two cups whole wheat flour to butter in pan.
Add 1/2 tsp salt
stir well, will be crumbly
add 1 egg and stir in well.
blend in one large handful of fresh basil leaves and one clove chopped garlic.
Pat around bottom and up sides of skillet. Prick with fork and bake for 10 minutes.

Farm fresh quiche served with tomatoes sliced fresh from
the garden.
Filling
2 cups soft goat's cheese
10 washed and shredded rainbow chard leaves, dice stems
12 farm fresh eggs
1 tsp corriander
1 tsp marjoram
1 clove garlic, diced
1 tsp salt

Blend this all together in a bowl and pour into crust in skillet. Bake at 475 for 10 minutes, then lower oven temp to 250 and bake for 1 hour.
let sit for 10 minutes in oven before slicing.

Serve with fresh sun-ripened sliced tomatoes.

Sure makes watering the garden worth it!





,

No comments: