Thursday, August 09, 2012

Geek shepherds

Our Higgs particle in front of her triplet sister
Hodge Podge
If you're reading this post looking for apps to improve your flock, you might be disappointed - though I can tell you that we've been using FlockFiler for our pedigrees for many years and love it. The Jacob Sheep Breeders Association has an awesome pedigree database, too and I enjoy researching our sheep ancestry on it. But actually, that's not what I'm talking about here.

I grew up in a family where things like tectonic plate movement was a perfectly normal dinner conversation. After all, my daddy is a rocket scientist. So my children were raised in a household where discussions of Bram Stoker's writings could lead to studies of fly genus and species. It was natural then, when I named Elizabeth's littlest afterthought triplet Higgledy Piggeldy that she instantly became Higgs Boson particle. After all, she is the littlest particle of a sheep in our flock.

And when it was announced on July 4 of this year that they had found the Higgs Boson particle, we just looked at each other and said, "Wow, google earth is now good enough that they can see Higgs."




2 comments:

Pam De Voe said...

Love this post. It not only gives your perspective on the big and little things in life but also is a perfect example of unintended consequences.

I've never tried spinning with this wool, but the articles in Spin-Off make it sound inticing. What do you make from your yarns?

Jenonthefarm said...

Hi Pam,
I weave shawls and rugs with our handspun Jacob yarn. I also crochet hats, scarves and handbags.