Monday, January 02, 2012

Hugelkulture and vacation's end

Ice storm down logs from Foxbriar. 

The garden area to the east of the house
 My friend Summer sends me all kinds of cool sustainable living information. She recently emailed me a link about hugel kultur.

We have mud, we have lots of wood... and I'm planning a new garden in somewhat soggy area to the east of the house. I want to do all raised beds. So, I started this afternoon.

I got the first layer of logs from Foxbriar. Logs are heavy. While most of my reading said to pile the organic matter and logs 7 to 8 foot high, I figured I'd build it as high as I could with what I had. I got the first set of logs piled and started hauling wheel barrows of mud.
Mud, we have lots.

Mud is heavy. I took a break to re-tarp the hay stack. I hauled a little more mud. I finished cleaning my workshop. I hauled a little more mud.
I decided this would be a slow project that I would work on this winter until spring planting time.

Today is the last day of my two weeks of vacation. The last two weeks has been a nice time of visiting with friends and family, weaving, working with our animals, traveling and exploration. I'm ready to get back to work. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep up with this chronicle.
Mud ...

No comments: