Saturday, February 17, 2007

Chinook wind

Yesterday morning, about 3 am, a chinook wind came whooshing across the prairie.
I had been thinking for about the last month that the only thing that was going to get rid of all this snow was either a good rain, or a good chinook. So, it is the wind to the rescue. Funny, I rarely think of wind as a saviour - usually I grumble and gripe about it.

In less than 24 hours of blowing wet warmth (well, warm is relative, but it is above freezing!), our driveway has turned from white ice to slippery, sloppy mud; The snow drifts around the goat barn have gone from 4-foot ramps to 3-feet of slush; and suddenly everything from grain cans to roasting pans is appearing from under the 8 week old blanket of white.

I should be excited - after all, this is what I've been wishing would happen for about a month and a half. But, I do wish the timing had been better!

Robin and Summer are coming to the farm to help me pack this weekend. We were/are going to load all the appliances, beds and sheep fencing into the horse trailer for Shawn's next haul to Arkansas. Now, I hate to gripe, but how do you haul a refridgerator 60 feet through foot deep mud?

No comments: